Join Steve Heffernan for an in-depth discussion in this video Encoding Ogg, Theora, and WebM with Firefogg, part of HTML5: Video and Audio in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
To encode our OGG and WebM formats, we're going to use Firefogg.…Firefogg is a free plug-in for the Firefox browser you can find at firefogg.org.…When you first come to the Firefogg page you'll have the option of downloading…and installing the plug-in.…Once you've done that, you should see this green box that says…Firefogg installed.…From there click on the Make web video link and then Select file.…We are going to use the same source file that we used for. It's in our _video…folder, podcast.mov.…And then we were presented with a list of settings.…
First thing I am going to do is click the Preset list and under the Settings…drop-down we're going to select the Ogg high quality Theora format, because it…has a maximum width of 1080 pixels.…You can see the other ones have maximum width of 200 and 400, which is smaller…than the video size that we're using.…And so this isn't going to set the video size to 1080.…It's just going to make sure it fits within there and since ours is 480 pixels…wide, this is the one that we want to use.…
- Understanding the differences in media formats
- Preloading, autoplaying, and looping in HTML5
- Setting a video's width and height attributes
- Displaying subtitles and captions
- Generating embed code with an embed code builder
- Encoding files using HandBrake, Firefogg, and VLC
- Creating a load progress bar
- Recognizing Android and iOS issues
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Video and Audio Basics
Understanding the format war3m 53s
2. Embedding Video and Audio
3. Falling Back to Alternative Playback Methods
4. Encoding Audio and Video Files
6. Known Issues and Workarounds
7. Audio and Video in the Wild
Further exploration1m 40s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.