Join Jess Stratton for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding and inviting members to your group, part of Google Groups Essential Training.
- View Offline
- We've made all our settings for our Volunteering Question and Answer Group, now let's start adding and inviting members to it. To do this, I'm in my group and I'm gonna click Manage on the right-hand side. It's going to bring me right away into the Member Center. From here, I can see all the members of the group, what their role is, email address is, when they joined, and what their status is. If I wanna invite a member to my group, I can click on Invite members on the left-hand side.
Here's where I can enter the email address, or multiple email addresses, by separating them with a comma. I can also include a custom message if I want. When you're done, click Send Invites. Fill out the CAPTCHA first, and then click the blue Continue button. Your invitation was sent to one person. You can see if they've joined or not by clicking on Outstanding invites on the left-hand side. Here you can see who you've already invited, and what their status is, and finally when they were invited to the group.
If any person has a URL of your group and asks to join, you will get an email notification. However, you can come down here on the left-hand side, and click on Join requests, and see if there's any member that's asked to join your group. From here, you'll be able to approve them or reject them. Finally, you can directly add members to a group. Now this is something that you need to use carefully because most groups are considered an opt-in basis.
That is, you can't sign up people for a group that they didn't want to be signed up for. However, let's take my band group for example. It was a group that I created so that my band could toss around ideas about songs that we want to work on. Therefore I can assume that every member in the band already wants to be in the group. For that, I could list their email addresses separated by a comma, write the welcome message, and then choose what email subscription I want them to have. For example in this case, I would choose No email because it's a web forum.
When I'm done, click the blue Add button and those members will be automatically added to my group. When you're all done inviting members, directly adding them, seeing who hasn't responded to your invite yet, and finally, checking to see who's asked to join your group, you can click the Back button, I'll click OK here to navigate away from this page, and you'll be brought back to your group. At any time you can see what members belong to your group by clicking Members on the right-hand side.
It's going to show you who's in your group and when they joined.
- Creating a group
- Crafting posts and announcements
- Finding and joining Google groups
- Working with topics
- Adding and inviting members to your group
- Disabling and deleting a group