Learn how to use Grasshopper scripts to create prototypes to test concepts, predict costs, and aid the architectural proposal process.
- [Walter] If you work in design, you've likely experimented with the Grasshopper plugin for Rhyno. It can be a challenge, though, to integrate Grasshopper effectively into an iterative design process. I'm Walter Zesk, and educator and designer. Over the past 10 years, my design practice has focused on developing software tools to automate design and digital fabrication processes. In this course, we will focus on using Grasshopper as an architectural prototyping tool. We will define prototyping principles, outline basic prototyping strategies, then walk through the process of applying those principles and strategies within Grasshopper.
We will focus on solving the most common problems faced by new and intermediate Grasshopper users. We will walk through by using existing Grasshopper scripts, repairing old scripts, managing plugins, and designing and building a new script from scratch. This course will transition a basic or intermediate understanding of the Grasshopper interface into a functional understanding of Grasshopper's powerful prototyping capabilities in architectural practice.
- Useful prototype examples
- Modifying an existing prototype
- Adding modularity with clusters
- Planning outputs and inputs
- Planning data flow
- Finding and wiring components
- Using and sharing your prototype