Explore the strengths and weaknesses of physics solvers and learn why you might need a genetic solver.
- [Instructor] Kangaroo extends the capabilities … of Grasshopper by adding an iterative solver … that applies forces to the model … simulating real world physics. … This provides an architectural designer … with form finding and simulation capabilities … that are much more accessible and faster to set up … than physical tests … or dedicated structural analysis software. … Kangaroo does have limitations however. … They're important to consider … when incorporating it into a design process. … From the beginning, Daniel Piker, the creator of Kangaroo, … has developed it as a design tool for architects … and other designers. … This means it has always been intended … to help determine what the design will be … rather than assess whether the design will work. … Its use of physics simulation during conceptual design … is often called form finding. … This is the core competency of Kangaroo … and everything about its design reinforces that emphasis. … For example, you do not need to know anything …
- What is generative design?
- Limitations of generative design
- Strengths and limitations of genetic/evolutional solvers
- How physics solvers work
- Testing and adjusting goals
- Working with machine learning tools
- Design requirements and diagramming
- Optimizing with Galapagos
Skill Level Intermediate
Grasshopper: Architectural Prototypingwith Walter Zesk2h 28m Intermediate
Learning Algorithmic Design with Grasshopperwith Chris Reilly3h 14m Intermediate
1. What Is Generative Design?
2. Genetic/Evolutional Solver Example
3. Physics Solver Example
4. Machine Learning Solver Example
5. Applying Generative Design
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.