Watch a population evolve and interpret the result.
- [Instructor] Galapagos, the evolutionary solver built … into Grasshopper, can be used to find Optima, … by iteratively testing different genotypes or inputs … until it finds the best solution. … Now, let's use this capability to solve something difficult, … a problem that would take some time … for a person to solve by hand. … I have the exercise file open already in Grasshopper. … Here I have some existing geometry, created in Rhino. … I'm inputting it into Grasshopper here, … and I'm using the default XY plane … to calculate a bounding box. … I'm visualizing the bounding box here … and I'm calculating the volume of the bounding box here. … Now let's ask a simple question … that does not have an obvious answer. … What's the optimal bounding box for this complex object? … Bounding boxes in Grasshopper are easy to find and create, … but they are specific to a particular plane, … in this case the default XY plane. … In most cases, the default plane does not provide … the smallest possible bounding box. …
- What is generative design?
- Limitations of generative design
- Strengths and limitations of genetic/evolutional solvers
- How physics solvers work
- Testing and adjusting goals
- Working with machine learning tools
- Design requirements and diagramming
- Optimizing with Galapagos
Skill Level Intermediate
Grasshopper: Architectural Prototypingwith Walter Zesk2h 28m Intermediate
1. What Is Generative Design?
2. Genetic/Evolutional Solver Example
3. Physics Solver Example
4. Machine Learning Solver Example
5. Applying Generative Design
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.