Learn how to use Grasshopper—the visual programming plugin for Rhino—as a platform for generative design.
- [Walter] If you work in design, you've likely heard plenty about generative design. Perhaps you've even experimented with some of the generative design tools in Grasshopper. This course will present a simple, functional approach to generative design that answers the following questions: How is generative design different from traditional design? What are the types of tools included within generative design? What design problems are appropriate for each type of generative design tool? What does this process look like on an architectural project using Grasshopper. I'm Walter Zesk, an educator and designer. Over the past 10 years my design practice has focused on developing software tools to automate design and digital fabrication processes. In this course, we will focus on using Grasshopper as a platform for generative design. We will define generative design broadly as a process, and then construct a framework within that definition that organizes the various techniques and tools associated with generative design. This course will transition a basic or intermediate understanding of the Grasshopper interface into a functional understanding of Grasshopper's powerful generative design capabilities for architectural practice.
- What is generative design?
- Limitations of generative design
- Strengths and limitations of genetic/evolutional solvers
- How physics solvers work
- Testing and adjusting goals
- Working with machine learning tools
- Design requirements and diagramming
- Optimizing with Galapagos
Skill Level Intermediate
Grasshopper: Architectural Prototypingwith Walter Zesk2h 28m Intermediate
Learning Algorithmic Design with Grasshopperwith Chris Reilly3h 14m Intermediate
1. What Is Generative Design?
2. Genetic/Evolutional Solver Example
3. Physics Solver Example
4. Machine Learning Solver Example
5. Applying Generative Design
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.