Learn the basics on how to approach a package design project, and create a memorable design that accurately reflects your brand and stands out from the competition.
- Hi, I'm Gerardo Herrera; and welcome to my course on packaging design basics. Packaging design is all around us; and just about every company, in one way or another, will encounter packaging design needs that require special insight on processes, shapes, materials, colors, and information that play an important role in expressing the brand experience. In this course, you'll learn the basic rules of packaging and exactly why packaging is important for a brand. We'll review the overall process of what makes a successful package, how to understand your competition, communicating the brand, and special needs of your product.
We'll look at all the types of materials, forms, function, and special considerations necessary when seeking a packaging vendor and whether stock or custom packaging is the right choice for you. Finally, we'll explore how elements like color, photography, illustration, and typography factor into the design process to create a packaging line that will deliver positive shelf impact for the brand. When it comes to packaging, I find that most designers are a bit hesitant to take the plunge and dive into a project that involves so many moving parts.
It can seem overwhelming at first, but I assure you; once you begin this journey with me, you'll see that packaging design is an exciting and integral part of a brand's identity. Let's get started.
- Why is packaging important?
- What makes a successful package?
- Choosing a form that communicates the brand
- Finding a packaging vendor
- Designing and testing
- Typography choices
- Color considerations
- Materials, texture, and finishes
- Shelf appeal and consumer response