Is the typeface useful? Utility is a relative quality. A typeface can be useful for setting large amounts of text in a wide variety of applications, like Times Roman. A typeface might also be useful in a more limited sense, like conveying style and grace—like Snell Roundhand.
- A typeface can be useful in at least two ways.…It can convey a specific impression or feeling,…like the elegance conveyed by Snell Roundhand,…or the informality and naivety conveyed by Comic Sans.…And the typeface can be useful…because it serves a wide variety of purposes.…For example, Times Roman can be used at 10 point…for long passages of text.…It can be used at eight point,…because of its large ex-hype…and its easily differentiated forms.…
And it can be used in displaced settings…for sober headlines thanks to its refined shapes.…The fact that Times Roman looks so ordinary…allows it to be used with many different kinds of text.…From business reports, to poetry, to contracts,…to newspapers, to fiction, to signage, to business cards,…Times Roman is not a typeface to convey a feeling,…unless that feeling is no-nonsense.…But it's difficult to argue its utility.…The hallmarks of utility…are flexibility, economy, and plainness.…
A typeface is flexible if it can be used…in a wide range of sizes and circumstances.…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.