Ubiquity is the flip side of novelty. A typeface can gain momentum by being used in a very public way (like Times Roman and the London Times) or by being used by a tastemaker (like Paul Rand and Bodoni for IBM). A typeface that is in use will be used more—until it has saturated the visual environment.
- [Instructor] Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd.…We notice what others are noticing,…and we wanna see what the fuss is about.…Ubiquity is the cascade effect of influence.…If a typeface is used a lot,…designers take notice and begin using it too.…This trend-following usually starts…with a few influential typographers choosing a new type.…Their influence will be amplified…if the use is broadcast-wide,…in a national advertising campaign, for instance.…Or if the work wins an award…shown in a design exhibition or is discussed…in a design forum online or in print.…
In these ways, the type choices of a few…influence a larger group of designers…who spot trends and follow them.…Once a typeface gains enough followers,…there's a good chance that it will gain many, many more,…and it will continue to gain…until it become so popular that it becomes passe.…At which point, the same people…who initially embraced it begin to reject it…because everyone is using it.…In the case of Times Roman,…several other factors greatly aided its ubiquity.…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.