Lettering is a kind of typography with unique letterforms created to work in a specific combination/order, usually with a single word or group of words in mind (think logotypes). Typefaces are systems of lettering—collections of unique letters designed to work in any combination.
- [Instructor] Typefaces and lettering…are not the same thing.…In technical terms, lettering isn't typography at all.…Typography is a system of letters that are able to be…combined in nearly infinite ways.…Lettering is made for a specific purpose.…Often a specific time and place.…The forms are unique.…They may be based on typographic form…but they are generally altered and spaced…to create a unique lock-up.…A specific unalterable order and spacing of forms.…From the beginning typography has been…in conversation with lettering.…
The first typefaces were based on lettering.…And great pains were taken to make them…mimic the effect of calligraphy.…Gutenberg's fonts contained a large number…of alternates and ligatures.…Two or more letters combined into a single glyph.…And like the fifteenth century scribes,…he was liberal with abbreviations and contractions.…Lettering is custom.…Like a handmade chair it's one of a kind.…Recombining it's parts to produce other words…may yield something intellectually intriguing.…
But chances are good…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.