Key words expand the design and begin the process of seeing how letters behave in combination. Type designers have a few standby words ("adhesion" and "Hamburgefontsiv" are two favorites) and there are a couple of web services (like adhesiontext.com) that provide other combinations of the same letters.
- [Narrator] During the early stages of proofing…you won't be working with the full character set.…But you'll want to figure out…whether you're on the right track.…Keywords, words composed from portions…of an alphabet will help.…There are two keywords that typographers…commonly use to judge a design.…The first is the simple Adhesion.…It addresses two difficult characters,…the lower case 'a' and the lower case 's'…and a small group of the usual suspects.…The second more challenging keyword is Hamburgefontsiv.…
While it's nonsensical it does add an essential capital.…The difficult lowercase 'g' form and one angled letter.…Enter adhesiontext.com from type designer Miguel Sousa.…Build as a dynamic dummy text generator,…it works just like you hope it would.…Feed in the characters that you have,…set the options, and click Get Dummy Text.…Adhesion text gives you a list of all the words possible…with your combination of characters.…
Keywords are an important part of the transformation…of individual letters into a cohesive font.…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.