The most basic test of a typeface is whether it can be read. Readability is a low bar. Is it a pleasure to read? Can it be read quickly and comfortably? Comfort, pleasure, and speed are three higher bars associated with legibility. Times Roman is both readable and legible.
- [Narrator] For most people, readability and legibility…are used interchangeably.…For the typographer, they are clearly distinguishable,…and act as a guiding principle…in type design and typesetting.…Readability means that the text can be read,…that the text and the typeface it's set in are decipherable.…This is the most basic test for a typeface,…and both designer and type users often…flirt with the readability in the pursuit of expression.…Heavily decorated type may convey and idea or feeling,…but may also push the bounds of readability.…
The same can be said of very small type,…or type set in all caps.…You've probably had the experience of struggling…to read a menu item in a dimly lit restaurant…because the type was too small, or too closely set.…That's an instance where type use hindered readability.…The use, rather than the type itself, was to blame.…You may have also seen an exciting piece of graffiti,…where the vibrancy of color and the urgency of form…drew you in, but were you at a loss as to what it said?…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.