Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video German posters, part of Learning Graphic Design History.
- By the turn of the twentieth century,…young artists began looking beyond the complex forms…of Victorian design, Art Nouveau, and Arts and Crafts.…The ideas in the air at the start of a brand new century…were about new and fresh approaches.…For these young artists the world of medieval poetry…and complex patterns had no place in this brave new world.…Lucian Bernhard was fifteen years old when he…attended an exhibition in Munich of work that…moved away from the drab tones and clutter of Victorian era.…
He was, as he said, "walking drunk…"with color through the exhibition."…He went home and painted every wall and…all the furniture in his room with…these new bright and vibrant colors.…His father kicked him out of the house but he…made the giant leap into realizing that…design could be minimal and clear.…Bernhard's poster for Priester Matches is a perfect example.…His original solution had dancing girls,…a cigar, table, and a tablecloth, but one by one,…he took each item away, determined to get to the core…of the communication which was simply matches.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Designing a Typographic Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 27s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.