How letters in a font fit together—how loosely, tightly, consistently, or inconsistently they space in words—can have a dramatic effect on the look and feel of a font. Typefaces for use in text are often spaced more loosely than those for display, and those for use in captions more loosely still.
- [Instructor] The fit of a font…is the careful trimming of the spaces…on both sides of the glyph.…Fit is managing the profiles of the letters.…Careful fit can salvage a sloppy design,…just as a careless fit can ruin a good one.…The road to fit is trial and error.…The destination is an even texture…and an emphasis on the inherent rhythm of the letters.…If you've managed to make a font…where the stroke width, serif structure,…and proportions are harmonized,…then you simply need to extend that ethos…to the spaces between letters.…
The trial and error comes in setting text…in your font and observing the effect.…It involves a lot of squinting and diagnosing.…Since the adjustments reverberate throughout…nearly infinite combinations of letters in a font,…it can be frustrating at times.…Fixing one problem will often reveal trouble elsewhere.…The approach is pretty straightforward.…Balance the side bearings of the vertical letters,…like the n and h,…and transfer those decisions to the other letters.…
Then approach the round profiles of the o,…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.