- Why quality assurance is vital for ebooks
- Ebook formats
- Differences between fixed-layout and reflowable ebooks
- Working with the FlightDeck tool
- Retailer specifications and devices
- Sideloading and opening files
- Necessary devices for ebook QA
Skill Level Beginner
- [Joshua] Hi, I'm Joshua Tallent. As Ebook consumers get more saavy, and the market for ebooks continues to stay flat or even decrease, it's important that publishers pay close attention to the quality of their ebook files. Ebook quality can directly impact the sales of your ebooks, and will definitely have an impact on the impression that readers have of the author and the publisher. Over the last few years, ebooks have often been called out in the press because of quality issues. These issues affect both self-published ebooks and ebooks from major publishers.
And some experts have pointed to these rampant quality issues as one of the many reasons why consumers are unwilling to pay the same price for ebooks as they do for print. In most of these reported cases of ebook quality failures, a small of testing on the ebook file would have been more than enough to catch these issues before the ebook was published. In this course, I'll take you through the entire process of ebook quality assurance from understanding the formats and how the ebook files are displayed on the screen to automated and manual validation techniques that will help catch issues easily before they become a problem.
This course is intended for anyone who is responsible for the quality of ebook files, regardless of your technology skills or the ebook creation skills or knowledge you might have. Whether the ebooks you're testing are created inside your organization or outside by a vendor, the skills you learn in this course will help you positively impact the quality of your ebook files. So, if you're ready, let's talk about ebook quality assurance.