Like the lowercase v, the uppercase V guides the construction of other uppercase angled glyphs.
- [Instructor] The uppercase angled glyphs,…V, W, X, Y, Z, K, N, M, and A,…begin the same way as the lowercase,…with the V.…The rules of the lowercase V apply to the uppercase,…but the width should be visually similar to the cap H.…The W is similar to the lowercase,…but sometimes achieves its slenderness…with an overlap instead of steeper angles.…The overlap can be a cross,…or trimming of the second stroke.…
The cross variety generally has a serif at the top,…capping both strokes at once.…The capital X is similar to the lowercase,…but is less compact,…so it's slightly easier to construct.…The width should be visually similar to the capital H.…The cap Z follows the same rules as the lowercase,…but with full size half serifs…and a similar width to the capital H.…The cap Y should follow the width of the capital H.…
Borrow the bottom of the vertical stem from the cap I.…The angles of the two strokes at the top,…thick at the left and thin at the right,…should be the same.…The join of the two angles with the stem…is called the crotch,…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Appropriate for all
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.