You can't sell a PDF on Apple or Amazon, but you can add ecommerce and sell it as a digital download, as you would a software program. See some examples in this video.
- [Narrator] Now the question is, after you've prepared your wonderful PDF ebook, how do you distribute it and sell it? Well honestly, the only way is from your own sites. Sites that you control. So, let's take a look at one such site. Let's say that Leaf & Mortar created that interactive booklet and they wanted to be able to either sell it or just distribute it from their website. So we're at Leaf & Mortar's website and I've already logged on. It's a WordPress website and I've created a new post, Download our Interactive Services Booklet, that I've already saved and I will select it, and there are a lot of WordPress courses here on the online training library if you want to learn how to create a new post and so on, but I've imported a screenshot of the interior of the booklet.
Our new interactive services booklet shows some wonderful examples of the different types of gardens we can create for your home. Click here to download the PDF. So I want to select, click here to download the PDF, and turn that into a link that will download the PDF, but I haven't uploaded it yet, so I need to upload the PDF. If you don't have a WordPress site, say you just have a regular website, you might need to use a FTP program and login to your server and then drag and drop the PDF to some folder on your website server and then you would link to that location, but WordPress makes it easy because I can just go to Add Media and here I can choose Upload Files and select the PDF that can upload.
So there it is. No, that's not ECGardens. We don't want that one. We want this one here. There it is. Booklet. Click Open. And it uploads and then I'm not going to insert it into the post. I just want to link to it and this is the link. So I will select this and copy it to my clipboard and then click close. So I'll just select this and then click the Insert/edit link icon and paste what I just copied, the path to it, and then say apply and now it's ready to work.
And if I choose preview, Download Our Interactive Services Booklet and the person would just click to download the booklet. There you go. I'll pulled up a site that's actually doing this right now that we've looked at before, A Book Apart, which is a wonderful group of people, and they have a beautiful series of eBooks that they sell. You can also get them as paperbacks, but say that you wanted to download a book, you would just click here and they have a beautiful page explaining why it's so great. You can download a sample chapter and it's sold as an ebook and if you click here, it says it supports Kindle, iBooks, Nook, and most other e-readers and devices.
I'll click Add, and it adds it. You can see I've already done this a couple times and now it thinks I want to buy three copies, but to learn more about the formats of the book, I go to Read our FAQs, How can I read the ebook? When you buy an ebook, you will receive three DRM-free, that's digital rights management, meaning you don't need to worry about it being locked to you and you can put it on any device you want, DRM-free file formats: EPUB, MOBI, and PDF. And they have, wonderful them, they have an instructions page about what to do with the EPUB and the MOBI and the PDF, how to get it on your device and how to read it, which I strongly encourage you to do if you're going to be selling things from your website.
The question here though is what about that e-commerce setup, how did this all happen? Well you're going to have to, probably, sign on with a third-party e-commerce vendor or get a developer to help you out or maybe the service that you're using to host your website knows of a solution, but a very common one, for example, is Shopify. I've seen that used on lots of sites, WordPress and otherwise. And just follow their online wizard to go ahead and sign on for it or I as mentioned in an earlier chapter, you could use Gumroad, which I keep hearing fantastic things about for anybody who wants to sell digital files online, ebooks or images or videos.
With Gumroad, when you sign up, your site is hosted by Gumroad and so it's automatically built in, but if you have an existing site, there are ways to integrate the Gumroad e-commerce system and shopping cart into your existing site. But whichever way you choose, even though you are not able to sell these things from the iBooks store or the Kindle store, it's really cool to know that you don't need them. You can just sell them from your own place.
- Finding, downloading, and reading free ebooks
- Choosing the right format for your ebook
- Building reflowable EPUBs and fixed-layout EPUBs
- Using tools like Word, Sigil, calibre, Jutoh, Pages, PubCoder, and InDesign
- Adding animation and interactivity such as clickable buttons
- Creating ebooks for the Kindle
- Learning the pros and cons of PDF ebooks
- Creating reflowable and multitouch ebooks with iBooks Author