Kohel answers the question, "Can an animal own a copyright?"
- Copyright came to the forefront via a story…about photographer David Slater…who was photographing monkeys in Indonesia,…when one of the monkeys took his camera…and started taking photos with it.…This story caused many people to ask…can an animal own a copyright?…Now the result also produced this hilarious monkey selfie…that further fueled the debate.…So, this brings up another obvious question…that we can ask Kohel Haver,…and that question is,…"Can an animal own a copyright?"…Here's his response:…The monkey has a pretty darn good case.…
The camera was stolen by the monkey…or the guy dropped it and the monkey took pictures of it.…So the argument was, who owns the copyright?…The monkey is an animal,…so animals can't own copyrights,…no matter how cute they are.…So, to summarize what Kohel said,…a human can own a copyright…and an animal can't.…No matter how cute they are.…
- What's a copyright?
- What can you copyright?
- Registering a copyright
- How long does a copyright last?
- What's derivative work?
- Responding to infringement
- When to contact a lawyer
- Common copyright misconceptions
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Copyright for Photographerswith Carolyn E. Wright50m 58s Appropriate for all
Understanding Copyright: A Deeper Divewith Dana Robinson1h 12m Appropriate for all
1. What Is Copyright?
2. Copyright Registration
3. Copyright Infringers
4. Responding to Infringement
5. Common Copyright Misconceptions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.