A good typeface can be ruined by bad spacing and a mediocre typeface can be salvaged by carefully considering the space around the letters. You'll need some good text to test with, and you'll need to follow the same print, critique, and revision process as before.
- [Narrator] Spacing or Fitting is the adjustment…of side barrings for all glyphs…and it's essential to the utility…and success of your typeface.…You've already practiced the basic techniques…through setting up glyph strings and test words.…Now it's time to extend that work to the rest of the font.…Numbers, punctuation, reference marks and symbols,…accented characters and any other…glyphs you've introduced into your character set.…Again, good testing documents and text will be essential.…
Some, like strings of numbers and math symbols…you can create on your own…and save in a text file for future use.…To get started, grab Alessandro…Sekalini's basic Kerning text.…Accented characters for specific languages…can prove a bit more challenging.…Luckily, there's a great tool from justanotherfoundry…that has a highly customizable text generator…for a wide range of languages and scripts.…Use it to put together test documents…containing all of the accented glyphs in your font.…
Once you've gathered the strings and text…for you character set the process is exactly what…
- Why study typography?
- What makes a typeface great?
- Stroke angle, weight, and contrast
- Shape variations
- Finding good models
- Typeface vs. lettering
- Drawing the basic glyphs
- Producing a functioning font
- Printing, critiquing, and revising
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Allan Haley on the Evolution of Typeface Designwith Kristin Ellison1h 38m Intermediate
Creating a Hand-Drawn Type Portraitwith Von Glitschka1h 31m Intermediate
1. What Makes a Typeface Great?
2. What Makes a Great Typeface?
4. Drawing the Basic Glyphs
5. Producing a Functioning Font
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.