In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows users how to navigate and use the Android Google Voice app.
- [Instructor] Let's look at Google Voice on an Android tablet. I'm going to tap to launch Voice. It looks very similar to the iOS version, except the tabbed interface is at the top. But let's start with the very top. Tap the three horizontal lines to access the settings screen. It's going to tell you what the currently logged in Google Voice user is. From here, you can access your archived folder, you can see what's in the spam folder, you can mark everything as read, you can see how much credit you have for international calls, and you can tap to access the setting screen.
You'll notice that all of these settings are exactly like they are in the web version. I'll tap that back arrow on the top left-hand side of the screen. It's going to take me out of the settings area, and now I'm in my message area. I can tap to go directly into any of my MMS messages. It has full photo support, even on the Android tablet version, also. I'll tap the arrow in the top left-hand side again, and this time, I'll tap the phone icon in the middle of the screen.
This is going to take me into my incoming and outgoing call log. Finally, the voicemail icon on the right-hand side gives me a list of all my voicemails. I can tap inside any voicemail to get the text transcription, and I can tap the play button on the right-hand side to listen to the audio version of it. Tapping the three dots underneath the voicemail will give me some additional options. For example, I can copy the phone number, I can send it to my archive, I can add the number to my contacts, and I can delete the voicemail entirely.
To make a call, tap the plus icon on the bottom right-hand side of the screen. I can type in a contact's name, or on the very top right-hand side of the screen I can tap the dial pad icon to switch to a telephone dial pad. I can make an outgoing call right from my tablet using my data plan. It's that easy to make phone calls and check voicemails on an Android tablet.
- Getting a Google Voice number
- Activating and working with voicemail
- Sending text messages
- Making international and domestic calls
- Using Google Voice on a mobile phone