In this video, Jess Stratton shows you how to choose a site theme, add a header banner file for the top of the page, and add a logo.
- [Instructor] Our site is created, but before we create pages or put in a header or logo, let's choose a theme. This way we have a nice root design to work with which will make designing the rest of the site much more easy. All the way on the top right-hand side of the screen, make sure you're in the Themes area. Now we can scroll down and choose something for our site. I'll click on Impression. Once I click on a theme, I can choose from some default colors here, but I can also click on the paint can icon and put in my own custom color.
This is useful if you already have a logo or some sort of color scheme that you were hoping to stick with. You can get a much closer match while still using a theme. I'm going to put in the Wisdom Pets logo color. It's going to instantly change, and I don't need to do anything from here. I've selected the theme. I'll click back on the word Impression and now we get a Font style menu. I'll click the down arrow, and I can choose between Narrow, Frank, and Capital.
I'll stick with the default, but you can choose. We have a theme saved. Let's add our logo and change this header a little bit. The first thing I can do is click Header type. This menu comes up when you hover your mouse into the header area. I'll click on it, and I can choose from large banner, a regular sized banner, and I can remove the banner entirely and only have text by choosing title only. In this case I'll click Banner.
I'll then click the arrow on the left-hand side, and now I can change the image to put my own in. I'll select Change image. I can either select Upload to upload one that's on my desktop computer, or I can choose Select image. Selecting image will let me choose from a gallery that already exists in Google Sites. This way I can use some prebuilt headers if I don't have my own. I can put an image in if I know the URL of it. That is, if it's stored somewhere else on the internet.
I can do a Google image search and find an appropriate header. I can use my albums that are in Google Photos, and finally, I can click Google Drive. I already have some images saved in Google Drive. This Wisdom Pets folder already exists in Drive, so I'll select that. I have a banner header file ready to go. I'll choose that, click Select, and it's going to put it in place.
Since this will be my homepage, I don't need a big page title here. I can select this block. Once the blue is outlined, a context menu will appear above it. From here, I'll click the trashcan to delete the title. Now I'm just left with my banner. The last thing I want to do in this video is add a logo. This logo is going to come across on every page. I'm going to hover my mouse in the top left-hand side of the site itself, over the text that says Wisdom Pets.
An Add logo box will appear. I'll click it, and once again I can either upload it from my computer or select it from a place such as Google Drive. I do have my logo in Drive, so I'll find it there. I'll select it, click Select, and now I can choose the background. I can choose a white background, a black one, or a transparent one. I'll make mine transparent. I can also select a color.
Once I'm done, I can see my logo is at the top. Now we've chosen a theme, we've added a header banner, and we've added our logo to the entire site. Up next, let's create and work with pages.
- What are the uses for Google Sites?
- Choosing a site theme and adding a logo
- Managing or deleting a site
- Adding editors to help build a site
- Working with pages
- Creating and working with additional pages
- Adding text and images
- Adding forms from Google Forms
- Publishing your site