Show the student how to add Google Play Services to a project, and explain how only the parts of the library that are actually needed can be selectively used in a project. Set up a server account to use the project
- [Voiceover] In this exercise, we're going to see…how to include Google Play services in your app.…I highly recommend that you complete the next few exercises…in order because they build on each other…and give a complete overview of how…to include and connect to the services.…To include Google Play services in your app,…you need edit your build.gradle file…for the application module and add a compile dependency.…There are a couple of ways you can do this.…To include all of the Play services in your app,…you can just add the line compile,…and then com.google.android.gms,…:play-services along with the version number.…
This will add references to all the Play services APIs,…but might take up unnecessary space…if you're just using a few of them.…You can add specific services…by specifying them in the dependency statement.…For example, if your app is just going…to use Location services and Google Drive,…you can include just those services…by appending their names after the .gms part…of the compile statement.…For a list of all the individual services you can specify,…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.