Learn how the Google Drive API is accessed from the Play Services library - what API name to use in the AddApi call, what scopes can be listed for accessing information, and what callbacks can be specified
- [Voiceover] Hundreds of millions of people…use Google Drive to store their documents and information.…With the Google Drive API for Android,…your application can also store…and retrieve data using the drive service,…as well as work with existing drive content…that the user grants your application access to.…The Drive API provides functions for working with all kinds…of drive related data.…Using this API, your app can read, write,…and update files and folders.…It can traverse the folder structure…of a given drive account.…
Your app can view and modify document metadata.…There are even high-level constructs…for creating user interfaces,…such as file pickers and file creators.…Your app can create search queries…for when it needs to find files matching certain criteria.…It's important to realize that there are two ways…to call drive APIs, asynchronously and synchronously.…In fact, you'll see this pattern…throughout the play service APIs in much of Android.…I'm going to be using the asynchronous APIs…in this chapter and the rest of the course,…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.