Join Joe Marini for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the development environment, part of Learning Google Play Services For Android.
- [Voiceover] In order to complete this course…and the associated exercises,…you will need to set up your development environment.…Here are the main things you'll need to do.…First, you'll need to get the latest version…of Android Studio and install at least one…Android SDK.…You'll also need to set up a Google account…if you don't already have one.…We're going to need a Google account…in order to enable certain server-side APIs…later in the course.…Once you've installed Android Studio,…you'll need to create one or more virtual devices…in the emulator.…
You can use a physical device along with this course,…but I'll be demonstrating the various Play Services features…in the emulator.…Finally, you'll need to add your Google account…to the devices that you want to test and debug with…regardless of whether you're using a physical device…or a virtual one, you'll need to add…your Google account to the device.…Alright, let's switch over to the browser.…And first, you'll need to get the latest version…of Android Studio.…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.