Learn about the steps involved in setting up a project to use Google Cloud messaging
- [Voiceover] I'm now going to use the…Google Developer console…to set up the exercise project…to use Google Cloud Messaging.…And well, I've actually already done this for myself,…but I'll show you what I did…so you can follow along in your own project.…First, make sure you're signed into your Google account,…and then go to…developers.google.com/mobile/add.…This will give us an easy way…to create the Google Services .json file…that we'll need for this exercise.…
And you've probably guessed by now…that the Google Services .json file…is used in a variety of different project types.…We saw it used earlier in the course…when we did Google Sign-In,…and now we're going to use it for Cloud Messaging.…So go ahead and click on Pick a platform,…and I'm gonna choose Android App,…and then I'm gonna click in the App name field.…And, at this point, you can either…create a new project or choose an existing one.…So, I'm going to go ahead and create a new project.…I'll call it MyTempProj1…and I'll hit Tab.…
And now I need to type in the package name…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.