Use the command line and cURL to send a message through the Google Cloud Messaging server and receive it in the client application
- [Voiceover] All right, we've reached a point…where we can now send…a Downstream Message from GCM to our client application.…Normally, the message would originate…on your application server…and be sent to GCM via the internet.…We don't have an app server for this example,…instead, I'm going to simulate one by using…the cURL command line tool to send the HTTP post…directly to GCM from the command line in a terminal window.…The command will look something like this.…Using cURL, I can specify the headers,…the body of the post and the URL…that the data should be posted to.…
cURL is a command line tool that you can use…to transfer data using different protocols.…If you've never used cURL before,…you can learn more about it at this URL.…If you're using a Mac, you probably already have the…cURL command installed and available from your terminal.…You can check to see if you have cURL installed…by typing a command in your terminal window.…So type curl --version.…If you get an error, instead of seeing a few lines of output…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.