The OpenFileActivityBuilder uses the built-in file selector interface in Google Play Services to allow the user to select a file from their Drive account and return it to your application. Note that this can be any file in Drive, not just files that your
- [Voiceover] I mentioned earlier that there are…some high level user interface elements in the Drive API…that you can use to select and create content.…In this exercise, we're going to see how to use…the OpenFileActivityBuilder to create a nice user experience…that lets the user select a file from their Drive account…for our app to operate on.…You can think of this feature as being the…standard Open File dialog that you see…on other desktop computing systems.…Now ordinarily, your app is restricted…to working with files in folders that it has…already opened or created or been granted access to.…
The OpenFileActivity doesn't have this restriction.…You can invoke it to let the user select…any file in their Drive account.…The steps for using it are straightforward.…First, you create an IntentSender…by using an OpenFileActivityBuilder.…Then, you call startIntentSenderForResult…with the newly created IntentSender.…In the onActivityResult function,…you check to make sure that the user…selected a file or a folder,…and if they did, then you can perform any work…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.