Build a project that uses the basic location service in Google Play Services to get a single instance of the user's last known location
- [Voiceover] In this exercise let's start off…by using Google Play Services…along with the Location Services API…to retrieve the user's last known location.…For this project you don't need to have…anything set up on the server.…We can accomplish everything just on the client.…Though later in the course we will see…how to work with server based projects.…The Location Services API…provides a function named getLastLocation.…This function takes a Google API client object…as a parameter and returns a location object…that contains information about the last known coordinates…of the device.…
It's worth noting that on rare occasions…this function can return null…if the location can't be determined.…So your code needs to check for that.…Alright, let's switch over to Android Studio…and let's open the basic location exercise.…So I'll open the project, and in the exercise files,…in chapter two, I'll open BasicLocation.…And once the project is open…let's go to the project explorer…and we'll open up the build.gradle for the app module.…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.