See how to use the Googe Sign In API process to get basic information about the user, such as their profile information, real name, email address. The API kicks off an Intent that allows the user to pick an account to sign in with, and can also provide a
- [Voiceover] All right, now that we have the project set up…with our Google services json file downloaded…and put in the right place, and our Gradle files modified…with the Google Services plug-in.…Let's start this exercise by implementing…the most important part, which is presenting the user…with a sign-in button and an off-flow.…Now, to do this, there are several discrete steps.…We need to add a sign-in button to our app's main screen,…and then we need to create and configure…a GoogleSigninOpitons object.…
Then we can do things like ask for email and whatever…other scopes of access we want for the user's account.…And then we pass that to the Google API client.…When the user clicks the sign-in button,…our app will start the sign-in flow…using startActivityForResult…and then handle the sign-in result when the call returns.…All right, so let's build this.…Let's go over to Android Studio.…All right, here in Android Studio,…I've got my sign-in project open,…and this is the project I was working on…just a few moments ago when we were setting up the project.…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.