Learn how the Places API provides data on more than 100 million places from the same database that powers both Google+ and Google Maps, along with the kinds of data that can be retrieved from each place
- [Voiceover] Earlier in the course,…we looked at the concept of location…and how your apps can use the location services API…to figure out where users device is located.…But sometimes, you want more detailed information,…not just about where a device is located,…but about the actual place where the user is.…Google maintains a rich database of places,…more than 100 million of them in fact.…These places are landmarks, businesses,…tourist attractions, parks, monuments, you name it,…and Google probably has detailed information about it.…
Using the Places API, your apps now have access…to the same Places database that powers…Google Plus and Google Maps.…With this API, you can determine…the users most likely place,…give the user a seamless experience…for selecting from a list of nearby places,…provide an auto-complete experience…for users when they are entering…the name of a place into your app,…and get detailed information about places,…such as phone numbers, websites, addresses, and much more.…
We'll see how to perform each of these operations…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.