Understand how Google Cloud Messaging works - the sequence of events used to send and receive messages, the different kinds of messages that can be sent, what kinds of protocols can be used, etc
- Google Cloud Messaging is a service provided by…Google that enables developers to send messages…between application servers and local client apps.…You can use this service for a variety of purposes.…For example, you can send a signal to a specific…client app indicating that there is new data…to be downloaded such as in an email application.…Or you can send up to 4K of payload data directly…in the message as you might do in a messaging app.…
You can also take advantage of topic based messaging…in which multiple client apps can listen in…for messages on a particular topic, freeing your server…from having to message those clients individually.…And best of all Google Cloud Messaging is free.…In this chapter we're going to see how to…setup an Android client app to use Google Cloud…Messaging or GCM as I'll refer to it from now on.…Now GCM is a fairly large subject and could…probably fill and entire course on its own.…
So I'm going to be focusing only on an introduction here.…Of course, you can always learn more by visiting…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.