Explain what the Fused Location Provider is and how it is used to retrieve the location of the user's device using a variety of signals, from Wifi to Cellular
- [Voiceover] One of the most powerful features…of today's mobile devices is,…well their mobility.…Having the ability to know the physical location…of a device opens up a huge number of potentially valuable…features that your apps can provide to your users.…Google Play services makes it possible to retrieve…the users location from a variety of signals.…WiFi connections, cellular radio towers,…and even global positioning system satellites,…all of these signals are exposed to your apps…though the Fused Location Provider,…which gives you a high level API for determining…the users location.…
In order to use the Location Services API,…you need to request the necessary permissions.…There are two permissions,…one for higher accuracy,…and one for lower accuracy.…You specify these permissions…in your application's manifest file.…For Android Six and later,…you request them at run time.…By being thoughtful about the accuracy your app needs,…you can help the user conserve battery power.…For example, if your app provides information…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.