Build a working set of code that implements all of the necessary pieces to use Google Cloud Messaging to send and receive a message, such as a GcmReceiver, GcmListenerService, and using an IntentService to register with GCM
- [Voiceover] Alright, with the project set up…in the developer console and the Google Service's…JSON File downloaded and saved in the right place,…we can now start implementing our client app logic.…There are a few key steps that need to be completed…in order to start receiving GCM messages.…First, the necessary permissions must be added to your…manifest file to receive messages, and I'll cover those.…You'll also need to declare some…GCM-related classes in your manifest.…A declaration of GcmReceiver is needed…to receive the broadcast messages from GCM.…
This also needs its own permission.…A couple of services also need to be created.…You'll need to create a subclass of the GcmListenerService…which enables various parts of the message handling process.…It is also where your app will override…the method for receiving actual messages.…Your app must also create a subclass of the…InstanceIDListenerService.…This service is responsible for creating…and refreshing registration tokens.…Registration tokens are usually sent from your client app…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.