Demonstrate the lifecycle of how Google Play Services is loaded, initialized, connected to, and how to handle various error conditions that may occur
- [Voiceover] We've seen how to include…Google Play services in our Android app,…and now we're going to examine…the life cycle process that the library goes through.…If you haven't already completed the prior exercise,…where we add Google Play services to our project,…you should go back and complete that exercise…before starting this one.…The Google Play services library goes through a series…of life cycle events similar to the way…that Android activities do, and provides a set…of callback functions that your code must implement,…which we'll see in a moment.…
To call the various Google Play services in your app,…you first need to connect to the library,…usually in your application's main activity.…The library provides a set of classes…and interfaces to help with all of this.…The main class you will use is called GoogleApiClient.…Then there's a series of steps to follow.…First, you create a new instance of the…GoogleApiClient.Builder class,…which takes a reference to the activity.…It is on this instance that you will add APIs…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.