Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Joe Marini, and welcome to Google Play Services for Android. In this course, I'm going to show you how to take advantage of the latest Google services right from within your mobile Android apps. We'll start off by learning about the various features of Google Play Services, including how to include the Play Services library in a project, how to connect to the service, and manage the connection life cycle. Then, we'll dive right in and see how to use location services to determine the location of a user's device, get ongoing location updates, and turn location data into a physical address.
Throughout the rest of the course, we'll see how to integrate your app with the Google services that your users already enjoy every day, such as using Google sign-in, to let the user sign into an app with their existing Google identity, storing and retrieving information to and from Google Drive, and even sending notifications using Google Cloud messaging. Best of all, Google Play Services is automatically updated for you by Google, and is present on any phone that gets its apps from the Google Play Store.
That covers more than a billion and a half people. Let's get started learning how to use these great Google features in your Android apps with Google Play Services for Android.