Use the geocoder to retrieve information about a location using just the name or description of the place, such as "The Louvre Museum" or "Statue of Liberty".
- [Voiceover] In the prior exercise we saw…how to use the geocoder to receive physical addresses…from a set of lat and long coordinates.…You can also use the geocoder to retrieve detailed…address information just from a place description…which we'll see how to do in this exercise.…Now we're going to be using the same exercise project…as the previous exercise, so if you haven't completed…the previous exercise yet, go back and do it now…because we'll be building on the work…that we did in the previous one.…
If you open the main activity layout…you'll see that there's a text entry field…along with a button named get address from named location.…So let's go to the main activity Java code…and you can see that this button, when clicked,…calls the getAddressFromName function,…and this is in our onCreate lifecycle…function for the activity.…So let's go to that function.…It looks and acts just like the getAddressFromLoc function…which we saw in the previous exercise…except that in this case the action…that we're telling the geocoder service to perform…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.