Understand how to programmatically create new drive content, such as a file or a folder, using the appropriate classes to create the file or folder and set the initial content
- [Voiceover] In a previous exercise,…we saw how to use the OpenFileActivityBuilder…to create a user experience for selecting Drive content…to use within your app.…The Drive API provides a counterpart…for creating new content in Drive…called the CreateFileActivity.…You can think of this…as the standard system Save File dialog…that you might see on desktops.…Now, you can of course also create content…purely within code by using the CreateFile API…on the Drive folder interface.…Using the Create Activity however,…let's the user easily specify…where the new content should go.…
So let's take a look at a typical use case.…You create new content on Drive…using the new Drive Contents API.…Then in the callback function for creating the new content,…you usually obtain access to the output stream…for the content, and then write your data to that stream.…When you're ready to prompt the user…to save the new content,…your code creates a new IntentSender…using the newCreateFileActivityBuilder API.…You then attach the newly created content…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.