See how to set up a project on the Google Developer Console to work with the Places API
- [Voiceover] In order to use the Places API,…there are a few steps you need to complete.…First you need to create or use an existing project…in the Google Developer console.…Next, you need to specifically enable…the Places API for that project.…You then need to create an API key.…This key will be used to access the API,…and ensure that only your app can use it.…Once the key is created, you add…your key to the app's manifest file.…Okay, so let's go through this process.…Go to account.google.com and make sure…that you are signed into your Developer account.…
Once you've done that, go to console.developers.google.com.…Alright, and I'm going to make sure…that I'm viewing all my projects.…So I'm gonna click on the Project Explorer…and choose manage all my projects.…Now I've already created a project…called ThePlacesSampleProj for myself.…What you'll need to do is click on…the Create project button and make one.…So give your project a name here and then click Create.…I'll just go through this process with some temporary name.…
Programming expert Joe Marini covers how to retrieve and work with a user's location and get continuous location updates with Location services; target and authenticate users and access their profile information with Google Sign-In; and work with the Google Drive API to store and retrieve content. Joe also shows you how to use the Google Places API to get information about places such as addresses, phone numbers, and website URLs, along with how to send messages to individual devices using Google Cloud Messaging. By the end of this course, you should be able to incorporate Google Play services into your own apps and take advantage of the various features it provides.
- Using Google Play services in your Android project
- How the Google Play services life cycle works
- Retrieving the user's location with Location services
- Working with location data
- Performing a geocoding operation
- Using Google Sign-In to access user information
- Storing information with the Google Drive API
- Working with the Google Places API
- Communicating via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Play Services Basics
2. Location Services
3. Google Sign-In
4. Google Drive
5. The Places API
6. Google Cloud Messaging
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.