In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows how to use Stars in Google Drive to gather individual files and folders together in one place to work on projects.
- [Instructor] In addition to color coding folders so that you can find them quickly, you can star individual files as well as folders so that you can gather them in one place. Like the color coding of folders, stars will serve as a visual reference for you. Your own internal system of organizing can decide what that star means to you and why you're choosing to gather those files and folders. To add a star, simply right-click on the file that you want and choose add star. For example, I'm currently working on this opening party.
If I go inside this folder I can see that there's contracts, photos, and an invitation. But I might have files that I'm working on for this project all over my drive. For example, I'll go into my work files. Here's our logo, we need that for any marketing materials, so I'll right-click and choose add star. We also have a photos folder in here. This contains photos of the pool where the party is, as well as some of our rooms.
I need that one, so I'll right-click on this entire folder and choose add star, also. Finally, I'll go into this contracts area because I need to remember to send this contract to our official photographer. I'll add a star to that. Now when I'm ready to sit down and work on the party, I can click on star on the left-hand side in the navigation pane. Here's where I can see everything that I starred in one place, so that I can sit down and start working on it.
When I'm all done with the party, or as I finish working on each of these items, I can right-click on it at any time and choose remove star. It will be removed from the view and I can continue working. It's still in it's original location, it's just not in the special starred area here on the left-hand side. At any time, I can add stars and remove stars according to what internal system of organization I've set up for myself. In fact, if I click on work files, I can see that this photo's folder has been starred because it contains a star icon next to it.
It's the same thing with my logo here on the right-hand side. Stars are going to be very personal to you for organizing, but they're very useful and absolutely worth using.
- Accessing Google Drive
- Navigating the web interface
- Uploading files via the web
- Converting files to Google Doc format
- Deleting and recovering files
- Purchasing more storage space for your files
- Organizing and searching Google Drive
- Using Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Creating drawings
- Using Google Docs to collaborate with others
- Using Google Drive on a mobile device