In this video, staff author Jess Stratton shows you how to navigate and use the Google Drive app on an iPad mobile device, which is similar to the web interface.
- The Google Drive app is very similar to working in the browser. On the very top left hand side of the screen, tap the three horizontal lines to get into the navigation bar. At the very top of the screen, you can see the currently logged in account. And if you're logged into any other Google Drive accounts, you can toggle back and forth between those accounts by clicking on the avatar icons. Directly underneath that, you can tap My Drive to get into the contents of your drive, the Shared with me folder is any file that any other Google Drive user has shared with you.
Your Google Photos contains your photos, any recently accessed files, any files you've starred, and any files that you've put in the trash. You can also tap the gear icon to get into your settings. Here, a unique feature to the Google Drive app, is that you can set a passcode lock. To get into Google Drive, you can put in a special four digit code. I'll tap the X to get out of this. This is the main root area of My Drive. Just like the web browser, you can see your folders at the top and your files underneath that.
You can tap on any folder to access it. You'll be brought into that folder, and to get back to the root of My Drive, you can tap on the arrow on the top left hand side of the screen. On the top right hand side of the screen, you can tap the magnifying glass to search for your files. You can search for certain file types, and you can also scroll down to search for a particular date range. At the very top of the screen, you can tap inside where it says Search to put in a text phrase.
I'll tap the arrow on the top left-hand side to get back to My Drive. You can toggle back and forth between grid view and list view by clicking the icon to the right of the magnifying glass. The three dots to the right of that will allow you to change the sort order. You can also select all of your files. You can select individual files by tapping and holding. It's going to bring up a special menu where you can select multiple items and star them, move them to a different folder, or tap on the trash can icon which is located at the very bottom of the screen.
You can deselect the files by untapping the check mark right on top of the file. You can also tap the three dots to the right of the file title to access a special context menu. This is just like right clicking the file in the browser. You can rename it, add a star, and share it with other people right from this menu. Finally, you can access the file itself by tapping once on it. It's going to open up in the Google Docs app if you have it installed on your device.
I can get back to Google Drive by tapping the word Drive on the very top left hand side of the screen.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Accessing Google Drive
- Navigating the web interface
- Uploading files via the web
- Converting files to Google Doc format
- Deleting and recovering files
- Purchasing more storage space for your files
- Organizing and searching Google Drive
- Using Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Creating drawings
- Using Google Docs to collaborate with others
- Using Google Drive on a mobile device