- The Google Docs app works hand in hand with Google Drive. That is, the Docs app will only show you all of your Google Docs. It doesn't show where they are stored in your Drive, that is the folder structure. In the Docs app to create a new doc, tap the blue + sign in the bottom right-hand side of your screen. I'm not gonna do it right now, but I wanted to show you where it is. In the very top right-hand side you can see all the folders that's in your Drive.
This way, if you wanna look for a doc in a folder structure you can browse it here. It will also show you all the loose files that you see in the larger thumbnail view when you tap the x right here. If you don't like looking at your docs in a thumbnail view you can tap the grid icon in the top right-hand side, which will show you a list of all the file names. It will also show you the date that it was last accessed. If you tap the three dots to the right of a title you can Rename the doc, Share it with other people, tap Keep on device to download it to the iPad, tap Details to view details about the app, like when it was created and modified.
I'll tap the arrow to get back to the main screen. And you can tap Remove to send it to the trash. I'm gonna tap the three horizontal lines on the top left-hand side of your screen. This is gonna take me into the main navigation. From here I can access my Settings by tapping the gear icon on the top right-hand side next to my name. I can also tap to set a Passcode Lock for Google Docs. This way I can set an additional four digit pin code that I have to enter before accessing any of my docs, which is great considering I'm on a mobile device that I can lose.
I'll tap the x to close out of this. I can view my Starred apps, that is any Google doc that I have a star next to. I can also tap Incoming to see any documents that had been shared with me by other people. I can tap to view documents that are stored on my device. And I can also tap to see all my documents in Google Drive itself. This is gonna open up the Google Drive app, which is why I recommended downloading it in addition to downloading the Google Docs app.
It automatically signs me in and now I can automatically see my folder structure. In fact, I'm gonna tap on the New Hire Manuals folder. This is where we created the doc that we've been working on this whole course. If I wanna tap on a doc to work on it directly all I have to do is tap on it in the view and it's gonna open up in Google Docs. So that's how to navigate the Google Drive and Google Docs app.
Up next let's work with a doc in the app itself.
- Creating, naming, saving, and editing docs
- Formatting text
- Creating a table of contents
- Inserting images and tables
- Copying, renaming, and moving docs
- Publishing docs on the web
- Sharing docs
- Translating docs
- Using Google Docs on mobile devices