You can work on a doc at the same time as someone else through a browser. In this video, learn how to collaborate and even live chat within the doc itself.
- [Speaker] Now that I've sent the person an invitation to collaborate on the doc, whenever they want, they can open it up and start working on it. If we have it open at the same time, I'll see their avatar up here on the top right hand side with their Google profile avatar icon. I'll also see a color assigned to them. In fact, if there was multiple people working on the doc, everybody's avatars would line up on a straight line right here, and everybody would be assigned a different color. If I want to see what this person's working on, I can click on their name and it will take me right to that point in the document that they're typing. I can even see them live typing while they're doing it. For every person that's working on the doc, I'll see a cursor that has the same color that they're assigned. In fact, this person can even initiate chats. I can initiate a chat also by clicking on the chat window bubble on the top right hand side of the screen to show chat. However, even if it wasn't open, I'd still be notified. The chat window will open and I can see them talking to me. I can answer back. We can have a conversation while that person is working on the document. I can read what they have to say and I can see that they are in fact working on that particular line in the doc. If I wanted to close out of the chat window, I can click the X on the top right hand side of the pane. I can continue working on the document while they're working on it. I can scroll up and down and move throughout the doc and make changes and it's not going to interfere with what they're doing. As long as I'm not editing the same paragraph, in which we might be stumbling over each other while we're working on the document. And at any time, if the other person moves around in the doc to continue working on something else, I can see where they are by clicking on their avatar icon, and it's going to take me to where they are in the document. When they're done working on it and close out, their avatar icon will go away on the top right hand side, showing me that they're not working inside the document any longer.
- Creating, naming, saving, and editing docs
- Formatting text
- Creating a table of contents
- Inserting images and tables
- Copying, renaming, and moving docs
- Publishing docs on the web
- Sharing docs
- Translating docs
- Using Google Docs on mobile devices