Learn what Google Cloud Spanner is, why and how you can try it out.
- So what is Spanner? Or more formally Google Cloud Spanner. Google likes to call it the ultimate RDBMS. Or cloud relational database. But what does that mean? So at the time of this recording, Spanner is in beta release. So depending on when you view the recording and try out Spanner, some of the features might have changed slightly when it goes to G.A. And it's commercial release of Google's own internally used massive relational database. They've been using a version of Spanner for mission-critical workloads such as Google Adwords.
So what are some of the key features? The first is it's globally distributed. Next, is that it's automatically scalable and scaled. so you can very very easily grow your database for your needs. Importantly, it's transactionally consistent. So you get all the transaction control that you get with traditional relational databases, but at a global scale. Also importantly, you can query using familiar ANSI-SQL query syntax.
This has been a feature that's been highly in-demand from the developers that I've been working with, and, just frankly, hasn't been available at this scale. So many of those developers were forced into using NoSQL or Hadoop solutions, which, frankly, were a lot more difficult for them to use. So this is really interesting in terms of the cloud database offerings, and one of the reasons I decided to make this course. So you might wonder, what kind of workloads would you put on a globally scalable, transactionally consistent database. Sounds pretty powerful.
Google's customers for Spanner in the beta period include adtech, retail and financial services. Other notable features of Spanner are built-in synchronous data replication and node redundancy for the five nines or 99.999% uptime. So you get automatic, high availability. Now, this doesn't come without some understanding of some tuning and some setup that you have to do. And we'll be covering those features in this course. That includes proper data modeling, proper indexing, and proper processes for loading and querying your data.
- What is Cloud Spanner?
- Creating an instance and database using the console
- Making hot schema updates
- Cloud Spanner queries
- Loading data into Cloud Spanner
- Understanding transactions
- Cloud Spanner DevOps tools
- Auditing logs with Stackdriver
- Cost optimization