Understand how to model parent-child tables for best performance. Implement interleaved tables to co-locate related data rows.
- [Narrator] The next concept…in properly modeling for Spanner…is this idea of interleave,…or interleaving, multiple tables.…This is as important as a primary key.…So I'm gonna take a minute to clearly explain it.…First of all, foreign keys are not supported in Spanner.…Don't shoot the messenger.…I'm only reporting the news.…So how the heck do you optimize for joins?…Typically of course,…we put foreign keys and indexes on foreign keys,…and that causes the data to be duplicated…so the join is run efficiently.…
It's really a similar concept,…it's just kind of a different name.…So first of all, there are no foreign keys.…Secondly, if we are going to…have join queries running against related tables,…very typical in highly normalized relational databases,…so customers and their orders,…orders and the order details,…so on and so forth,…it's a parent child relationship between multiple tables.…Then when you model,…you indicate to Cloud Spanner…that you wanna physically colocate…the rows for efficient retrieval,…particularly joins using the interleave command…
- What is Cloud Spanner?
- Creating an instance and database using the console
- Making hot schema updates
- Cloud Spanner queries
- Loading data into Cloud Spanner
- Understanding transactions
- Cloud Spanner DevOps tools
- Auditing logs with Stackdriver
- Cost optimization
Skill Level Intermediate
Google Cloud Storage and Data Essential Trainingwith Joseph Lowery2h 54m Intermediate
Google Cloud Platform Essential Trainingwith Lynn Langit3h 56m Intermediate
1. Why Cloud Spanner?
2. Cloud Spanner Basics
3. Cloud Spanner Queries
4. Cloud Spanner DevOps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.