Understand how Cloud Spanner implements all three aspects of the CAP theorem—transactional consistency, high availability and easy partitioning. No other RDBMS claims to support all three aspects.
- [Instructor] So the claims by Google about Spanner…are a tall order.…Up until now with relational database products,…you only got two out of the three CAP concepts.…Now, for some of you that have had…some time to study this in college,…this will be familiar, but for some of you…this is going to be new.…Let me do sort of a high level and then a deep dive on this.…So, what does this mean and why do you care about it?…Consistency means transactions.…It means, if you are putting, for example,…financial information in your database,…and you need to be transactionally consistent…when somebody makes a deposit or a withdrawal,…it needs to be consistent across…all of your database copies globally immediately.…
Spanner can actually do that.…Now that is the newest aspect of this,…and Google actually invented a method of synchronizing time…that they implement globally across a set of servers.…It's called True Time.…I do recommend that, if you're going to deploy Spanner…into production, you dive in.…I'm going to give you a resource at the end of this movie…
- What is Cloud Spanner?
- Creating an instance and database using the console
- Making hot schema updates
- Cloud Spanner queries
- Loading data into Cloud Spanner
- Understanding transactions
- Cloud Spanner DevOps tools
- Auditing logs with Stackdriver
- Cost optimization
Skill Level Intermediate
Google Cloud Storage and Data Essential Trainingwith Joseph Lowery2h 54m Intermediate
Google Cloud Platform Essential Trainingwith Lynn Langit3h 56m Intermediate
1. Why Cloud Spanner?
2. Cloud Spanner Basics
3. Cloud Spanner Queries
4. Cloud Spanner DevOps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.