Learn what you will need to follow along in this course, such as your system requirements and access to Google Hangouts with your login credentials.
- [Instructor] Well, here's what you need to follow along with me in this course. Firstly, you'll need to have a Google account, such as a Google+ account or Gmail account. Without it you won't be able to follow along with me step by step. It's free, so if you don't already have one, you can go to Google and sign up. But not to worry. If you're not ready to create a new account, you can still learn lots by sitting back and watching. Next I'll be spending most of my time on a desktop computer as we go through the Google Hangouts features and functions.
While Hangouts can work on virtually any browser on any platform, it's most seamless using Google Chrome. You don't need to be using Google Chrome however to follow along with me. Hangouts looks the same in Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge on a Windows computer as it does in Safari on a Mac or even Chrome on either platform. With some browsers like Internet Explorer and Safari however, you'll be prompted to install an add-in or extension to use Hangouts.
Otherwise it simply won't work. I'll be working with a variety of browsers, both on a Mac or Windows computer. For using Google Hangouts on a mobile device such as a tablet or a smartphone, you'll need to install the Hangouts app. Just search for Google Hangouts at the App Store to get it installed on your Apple devices, or search the Google Play Store to install it on your Android devices. It's a free app at either location. So that's what you need to know to follow along with me in this course.
With so much to cover, let's get started with Google Hangouts.
- Touring the Hangouts interface
- Starting one-on-one text chats and group text chats
- Archiving a text chat
- Starting a video call
- Sending a message during a call
- Changing video call settings
- Making phone calls with Hangouts
- Touring the Hangouts UI on a mobile device
- Setting up contacts
- Customizing Hangout preferences
- Using keyboard shortcuts in Hangouts