Learn what Google Hangouts is, what it can be used for, who might use it, and how it might be used in a variety of different scenarios.
- [Instructor] Well, just before we begin using…Google Hangouts, many of you may be wondering…what Hangouts is exactly, who uses it, and how.…That's what we're going to explore in this movie.…And if you already have experience with Google Hangouts…this will likely be a review,…and you may even want to skip this movie.…But for those new to Hangouts,…this movie will give you a good foundation.…So what is Google Hangouts?…Simply put, it's a communication service…that's built into Gmail and Google+ that allows members…to start or participate in text, voice, and video chats,…either one-on-one or in a group.…
What exactly is a member?…Well, that's anyone with a Google account.…And a Google account can be one of the following.…Firstly is the basic Gmail or Google account that's free.…This account ends in @gmail.com.…Now this free account gives you access to a free mailbox…and other free services like Google Docs, Calendar,…Maps, and of course, Google Hangouts.…Next is Google+, and Google+ is more of a social platform…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Touring the Hangouts interface
- Starting one-on-one text chats and group text chats
- Archiving a text chat
- Starting a video call
- Sending a message during a call
- Changing video call settings
- Making phone calls with Hangouts
- Touring the Hangouts UI on a mobile device
- Setting up contacts
- Customizing Hangout preferences
- Using keyboard shortcuts in Hangouts