Unlock the power of your favorite Google apps, including Docs, Gmail, Calendar, and Drive, with Google Apps Script. Learn to access data from the Google cloud, edit files, automate tasks, and extend apps' power with custom scripts.
- [Scott] Hi, I'm Scott Simpson. Welcome to Up and Running with Google Apps Script. Google Apps Script encompasses a language and ecosystem and an online editor that will allow you to use your knowledge of java script to take advantage of the powerful Google Apps suite of software and leverage Google's cloud infrastructure to run apps that use data from Google Sheets, Docs, Gmail, and more. In a short time, I'll show you the basic building blocks of Apps Script and how to use Google's documentation as a road map to get you where you want to go.
We'll also take a look at how to add custom functions to spreadsheets which is a perfect way to enhance your workflow. After that, you'll see how to make a web front end for your app to connect your script to the world. The Apps Script system is enormous so we'll only touch on a few major services and features. But if you have a good foundation in Java script, you'll catch on quick.
First, learn how to use simple scripts to edit documents and spreadsheets, work with files in Drive, and find and send messages in Gmail. Then find out how to add custom functionality to your spreadsheets, and build user interface elements for your scripts, using menus, alerts, and dialogs. Finally, Scott shows how to share your work with others by publishing scripts as web apps.
- What is Google Apps Script?
- Understanding script types
- Logging and debugging your scripts
- Scripting common tasks
- Building custom spreadsheet functions
- Creating add-on functionality such as dialogs and sidebars
- Sharing your script as a web app