Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the online documentation, part of Learning Google Apps Script.
- Documentation is just as important…as any other part of a development ecosystem.…It's impractical to expect to memorize…all of the classes and methods for a language…or framework before you get started.…That's where the reference guide comes in.…It provides a comprehensive list of all the services…and classes available to you…with a listing of the methods available for each.…As of this recording, the documentation starts out…with the calendar service.…I'll close that one up…and open the document service instead.…
Here, there's an overview of the document service.…There's a brief example of how to address the service…and a list of the classes, attributes, and the methods…associated with them,…that is, what you can do with each class.…There's a callout for the DocumentApp class…here on the left, as well.…Since that's the highest-level object…we'll be interacting with,…whenever we want to work with a document.…We can see the properties and methods…that the DocumentApp class offers,…along with what type of object they return.…
First, learn how to use simple scripts to edit documents and spreadsheets, work with files in Drive, and find and send messages in Gmail. Then find out how to add custom functionality to your spreadsheets, and build user interface elements for your scripts, using menus, alerts, and dialogs. Finally, Scott shows how to share your work with others by publishing scripts as web apps.
- What is Google Apps Script?
- Understanding script types
- Logging and debugging your scripts
- Scripting common tasks
- Building custom spreadsheet functions
- Creating add-on functionality such as dialogs and sidebars
- Sharing your script as a web app