Join Scott Simpson for an in-depth discussion in this video Using external data, part of Up and Running with Google Apps Script (2013).
- View Offline
Google provides us with a huge amount of things…to access, but sometimes we need something from the outside.…Social media, weather, stock prices, and all kinds of other data can…be accessed through web APIs, and we can use them within our script.…If you don't have a particular API in mind, and are…looking for somewhere to start, there's a fantastic list at apihub.com.…At data.gov the US government has an interesting list as well.…At the heart of…this kind of data access is the URL fetch service.…It lets you request data from a URL and also…provides an OAuth service for accessing protected APIs like Twitter.…
Obviously setting up OAuth is beyond the scope of this…course, so I'll be using a public API in this video.…I picked whoismyrepresentative.com because the API is…really straight forward, and it reports public information.…If you're not in the U.S., you can still use this API, either using…the zip code 93013, which is where the Lynda offices are, or good old 90210.…Or you can find of your favorite U.S. city on Wikipedia or Google.…
- What is Google Apps Script?
- Creating and editing files with Apps Services
- Storing data for your script
- Using events and triggers in containers
- Building custom spreadsheet functions
- Sharing your script as a web app
- Serving JSON or XML from your script
- Publishing your app in the Chrome Web Store